Saturday, February 5, 2011

CLEAN DAY 1

FRIDAY:

Weight: 131
Sleep: 7 hrs. + 1.5 hr. nap.
Mood: good, tired after swim.
Workout: :30 weights. 1 hour Swim (3,000 yds.)


My first day on the elimination diet wasn't too bad. I spent the morning cooking up a few things to tide me over for the next few days, soups, salads, bars.

I am limited to 28 foods & 8 Flavor enhancers for the next 2 weeks. These are the foods that cause the least amount of inflammation in my body at this time. Over the course of 6 weeks I will slowly be able to add other foods in, see how my body responds and then try to get on a rotational diet so I am not eating the same foods day in and day out. I was only tested for 150 foods/additives/etc. All Dairy is completely out as it showed a high reaction to both of the blood tests that I had done.


THE FOODS I CAN HAVE:


PROTEINS: Lamb/Beef/Chicken/Crab/Clam/Sole

STARCHES: White Potato/Millet/Quinoa/Rice/Amaranth

VEGGIES: Celery/Broccoli/Carrot/Cucumber

FRUITS: Papaya/Orange/Apricot/Mango/Grape/Plum/Grapefruit/Melon

NUTS/OILS: Pecan/Cashew/Walnut/Hazelnut

FLAVORS: Coconut/Cumin/Turmeric/Carob/Cinnamon/Paprika/Black Pepper


So I made up some Quinoa with the veggies listed and a sprinkling of olive oil. I know that is not on my list but I do get to add it in on the 3rd week and I didn't have anything else to use, didn't want to eat it dry.
Cooked up some amaranth, one of my favorite breakfast foods, mixed with coconut milk, walnuts and cinnamon. Learning to adjust my taste buds to NO SUGAR.

I decided to try and make some energy bars but they didn't turn out quite as good as I would have liked. Dates, walnuts, cashews, coconut and carob. I know that dates are not on the list but I haven't been tested for them either so a little cheating here. I did buy apricots today so I will change that up until I get the O.K. from my Dr. about using dates. In the meantime, these sit in the freezer.

I also made up some vegetable broth, much easier than I thought. I started off with a gallon or so of water and then added carrots/kale/onion/potato peel/garlic and let it sit for a couple of hours on simmer. Since a few of these items are not on my "list" until the 3rd week I wanted to freeze it for the 3rd week, save me a little time.

I made up a small batch of Broccoli, potato soup with some curry spice and coconut milk. Turned out pretty good.

It has been fun finding new recipes but also very time consuming. It's nice that the weather is cold and snowy so I don't feel guilty for staying inside the next few days working on this. I know that it will get easier once I figure out what I like and how quickly I can prepare things.

Breakfast 10:00am. A bar that I made. cashew, walnut, coconut, carob.
Amaranth with walnut, coconut milk, Cinnamon.

Lunch 12:30 Quinoa with hazelnuts and veggies. and small bar.

Snack: Orange, bars.

Dinner 5:00pm: Broccoli soup, bar.

Didn't feel hungry later in the evening but when I got home at 11:30 I really wanted to snack, a bad habit that I have, one of many that I hope to break while doing this elimination diet. I am going to try to make it a habit that I do not snack on anything after 8pm.


No comments: